Assessment item 2
Report on the 7 Eleven case
Due date: 08-Sep-2017
Return date: 03-Oct-2017
Length: 2500 words -/+ 10%
Submission method options
Alternative submission method
This assessment task extends the work that you have been doing in Assessment 1. In 2014, the Fair Work Ombudsman launched an inquiry into the employment practices of 7 Eleven organisation in Australia, with specific reference to its compliance with industrial relations laws relating to pay and conditions.
Central to the inquiry were allegations of illegal conduct relating to the treatment of visa holders employed by franchisees. Information about the report and the background to the inquiry can be found at this link: https://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/news-and-media-releases/2016-media-releases/april-2016/20160409-7-eleven-presser
Following the release of the report, there has been public debate surrounding the employment of visa holders in Australia, notably student visa holders and s457 visa holders (skilled workers).
Your task in this assessment is to address the following questions.
1. Provide a summary of the 7 Eleven inquiry. Why was it done and what were the major findings?
2. Critically analyse any gaps in the Australian ER system that this inquiry raises in regard to the role of the state and the role of unions. (You will need to do some background reading on these two aspects in order to provide an evidence-based argument.)
3. Discuss the implications of the inquiry for the regulation of ER in Australia – not just 7 Eleven. (You will need to blend professional, newspaper and academic sources.)
Given the recency of this inquiry, there is quite a lot of material available.
Successful completion of this assessment task will help you to demonstrate achievement of the following learning outcomes in HRM523.
– apply specialised knowledge to solve complex problems relating to the Australian industrial relations system
– synthesise and apply theoretical frameworks and scholarly research to critically analyse issues relating to the practice of industrial relations in Australia
– employ academic writing and information literacy skills.
Marking guide for Assessment 2
|Application of specialist and professional knowledge to analyse the 7 Eleven inquiry (incl theory perspectives)
|Relevant ER knowledge from appropriate academic, professional and news sources is applied with critical thought to analyse multiple points of view in addressing the question. This is done effectively.||Relevant ER knowledge from academic, professional and news sources is applied critically to analyse the positions of the major stakeholders in addressing the question.||ER knowledge is used to support the argument; however, the sources are not all of good quality and/or they are of uneven relevance and/or they are not used effectively to support an independent argument.||ER knowledge is used to describe the case and to describe points of view relating to the question. The paper does not move far beyond description and assertion of others’ views. The extent of value add in critical thought is limited.||Does not address the question.|
|Business implications(15 marks)
(Note: marks will be deducted for poor referencing and failure to follow the presentation instructions.)
|The discussion implications are fully consistent with the analysis of gaps and informed by relevant sources. Critical thought has been applied fully in the discussion of implication.||Discussion of implications is consistent with the analysis of gaps. There may be blindspots in critical thought relating to implications, and/or the use of supporting material.||Discussion of implications addresses the gaps identified; however, the discussion may be may be overly general or otherwise unclear in the extent to which the gaps are addressed. There may also be gaps in the justification of the implications..||Discussion of implications may be superficial or not well connected to the gaps identified. May be poorly justified.||Does not address this part of the question.|
|Total: 45 marks|
Use the following format for this report.
– Title page, showing the subject and assessment details, your name and student number, and the word count (this will be checked)
– Table of contents page (not included in the word count)
– Appropriate headings and sub headings, with numbered paragraphs and sub-paragraphs
– Reference list of sources that have been cited in the report. There is no minimum number of references. (Fifteen appropriate references is a guide only.)
An executive summary is not required.
The title page, table of contents and reference list page/s are not included in the word count. Everything else is included. Words contained in tables and images are included. Do not use appendices, footnotes or endnotes.
Use 1.5 line spacing and 12 point font.
Marks will be deducted for incorrect referencing and for failure to follow the instructions.
You can order this assignment from our service and receive a completely high-quality custom paper. Our service offers any of the academic papers written from scratch, according to all customers’ specifications, expectations and highest standards.”
Leave A Comment