Assessment item 1 – Initial Design concepts
Due Date: 09-Aug-2020
Return Date: 28-Aug-2020
Submission method options: Alternative submission method
You must read the Performance Horses case study in Interact Resources before starting this assessment item.
You are to develop at least two different initial concept designs that would meet the requirements of the Performance Horses control panel. These designs will be wireframe only designs at this stage.
The Performance Horses control panel case study is located in Interact Resources. You need to read this case study before starting this assessment item.
You will prepare a presentation for the Performance Horses control panel to display your concepts as well as discuss both concepts and the recommended design.
1. Sketch two (2) alternative interface designs for the Performance Horses control panel problem. These designs should be for a web page as viewed on a standard 60cm (24 inch) PC monitor with a suitable screen resolution. It is recommended that you use the Balsamiq Mock-ups or other wireframe tool for these concept designs. (60 marks)
2. As part of your presentation, you should indicate why these designs are a good solution for the Performance Horses control panel. The presentation should recommend one of your designs for further development and state why this design is recommended. (30 marks)
3. The presentation should recommend one of your designs for further development and state why this design is recommended. (10 marks)
There are two goals in this assignment:
The first is to exercise your user interface design abilities. Creativity in balancing usability with the constraints of the interface will be essential to successfully completing this assignment. The second is to start thinking about WHY you chose and used certain designs or design patterns. You need to be able to discuss why your design is a good solution to the problem.
The design sketches for this assignment can be hand drawn. But, if you do use hand drawn sketches, then you need to ensure that they can be easily read when they are scanned into your presentation. It is highly recommended that you use the Balsamiq Mockups tool for the final copies of your concept designs.
Remember that you are sketching a concept design for an interface. Your designs are concepts that you are presenting to your client. They should not be accurate to the pixel-level.
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
• be able to explain the relevance of integrating aspects of the human, social and organisational context into the design process.
• be able to demonstrate and articulate the importance of the principles of design that are applicable to the design of an interface.
• be able to design a user interface to meet a given set of requirements