Subject Code: ITC542
Subject Name: ITC542 Internetworking with TCP/IP
This is a practical assessment and will enhance and test your practical skills related to the subject topic.
Students are required to set up a network consisting of PCs, routers, switches and servers. You will need to configure routing between routers, use any dynamic routing protocol. The PCs (clients) will be connected to switches and switches to the router’s interfaces. Clients and Servers are connected on different networks (don’t attach clients and servers on same network).
To complete this assessment you are expected to refer to information beyond the text book. This assignment is open; in that you are free to choose the devices or software you use to complete the specified tasks. Students are expected to accomplish this task by utilising the necessary commands discussed in lectures and also described in the prescribed text book.
There are numerous web sites available that discuss networking , however you MUST list your sources of information for the different tasks. When completing this project, you may encounter errors or experience difficulties getting your setup to work. If this occurs, your challenge is to analyse why they happen and report on how you solved the problems you encountered.
Task 1 – Setting up a Network
Perform the following activities and support your workings with screenshots [10 marks]:
- Configure the PCs, Server and Router interfaces with appropriate network addressing;
- Configure any classless dynamic routing protocol on the routers;
- On any client, ping the client’s own network interfaces, then the local router gateway interface, then the remote router interface, then the servers. Check full network conductivity;
- Use the traceroute command from the client to the server. Include results of the traceroute in your submission, explaining meaning of traceroute output.
Task 2 – Configuring Network Services
Using the same network topology that you have setup in Task 1, perform the following additional activities
: Configure DHCP servers and show that the client PC has successfully received IP Addresses and other network parameters (default gateway, subnet mask and DNS IP address) using DHCP
: Configure WEBs server on the dedicated machines in their specified networks, with URL as yourname.csu.org
: Configure DNS Servers on the server device and demonstrate that forward and reverse DNS are working from the client PC; test DNS Server by browsing yourname.csu.org from client PC, DNS must resolve this URL to IP address of WEB Server
: Configure traffic filtering on the web servers to block ONLY HTTP TCP traffic between one of the client PCs and WEB Servers and allowing all other IP traffic, provide evidence of such traffic filtering. You should verify firewall by using PING and HTTPS TCP traffic which should not be blocked.
A series of screenshots with commentary on each of the required tasks is to be submitted. The submission must include a comprehensive explanation of each task in your own words and all the commands used along with the output (or final result) in report format. No description or lack of comprehensive description will result in deduction of marks.
Task 3 has been designed to detect and prevent unauthorized assistance with your work. This task is a question and answer session with your lecturer. You must contact your lecturer after submitting your assessment to book an individual appointment. Your lecturer will advise on how to book individual one-on-one sessions, for online students these may be over the phone or Skype sessions. Failure to contact your lecturer may result in loss of marks associated with this task.
SUBJECT LEARNING OUTCOMES
This assessment task will assess the following learning outcome/s:
- be able to analyse IP addressing requirements and design an addressing scheme.
- be able to analyse the requirements of IP routing and choose appropriate routing methods.
- be able to demonstrate how internetworking devices obtain their network configuration.
- be able to explain how data flows through the internet.
- be able to ascertain and evaluate selection of applications and protocols for transferring data across the internet.
This assessment is designed to enhance analytical skills, planning and design capabilities of students under some predefined requirements.
GRADUATE LEARNING OUTCOMES
This task also contributes to the assessment of the following CSU Graduate Learning Outcome/s:
- Professional Practice (Knowledge) – CSU Graduates possess the knowledge and understanding of the discipline and the nature of professionalism required for the given profession or discipline in contemporary societies.
- Lifelong Learning (Skill) – CSU Graduates seek and employ feedback to reflect on performance and outcomes in order to develop as an individual and professional.
Your assessment MUST be presented in MS Word format. Your assessment must be submitted electronically and should :
- Have a cover page including:
- Assessment No & Assessment Title
- Student Name, ID & Student Email
- The assessment should also include at least the following sections:
- Executive Summary – this section should contain a brief summary about the contents of the report. This section should be a maximum of one A4 size page.
- Main Body of the report – Use this section to answer all the questions in Part I and Part II. All tasks should be clearly identified with headings.
- References – must be in APA style both in-text and at the end of the assessment document.
- Use Calibri, or a similar font, in 11 or 12 point type.
- All diagrams and images are to be embedded in the document. Diagrams and images that are supplied separately will not be marked.
- All text should be left-justified.
- Each page must have a header or footer with your name and student number.
- Page numbers must be shown in the footer of each page, except on the title page.
Assessments are marked and feedback is attached using a MS Word based tool. Reports that are submitted in PDF format will be re-formatted to Word format in order to be marked. Allowances will not be made for any loss of information, diagrams or images as a result of the re-formatting.
Please note that this assessment is asking for your reflections/thoughts and understanding of the topic. Therefore refrain from directly copying and pasting from other sources. I encourage wider reading to increase your knowledge base however proper referencing guidelines MUST be followed (please refer to the APA referencing guide in student resources) otherwise your work can be reported for plagiarism.
“You can order ITC542 Internetworking with TCP/IP Assignment from our service and receive a completely high-quality custom paper. Our service offers any of the ITC542 Internetworking with TCP/IP Assignment from scratch, according to all customers’ specifications, expectations and highest standards.”