Subject: Youth, resistance and social control 2018-9
Essay 3000 words
Use Harvard Referencing
Please answer ONE question.
- Critically assess whether the August 2011 riots were a revolt of failed consumers or a protest against social injustice.
- Does the sphere of consumption represent an area of free choice and identity construction for young people?
- What were the strengths and weaknesses of the Occupy movement?
- Does rap and hip-hop music contribute to negative attitudes towards women and\or promote violent behaviour among young men?
- Living in disadvantaged areas negatively affects the life chances of young people. Discuss.
- Critically appraise Elijah Anderson’s concept of “street” and “decent” families.
- Why did the “lads” in Willis’s study “Learning to Labour” rebel against school education?
- How can girls’ and young women’s involvement in gangs be explained? Discuss, using the case study of the US and\or the UK.
- Explain the link between the social constructions of masculinity and youth crime.
- Discuss an example of a contemporary youth subculture, including its code of conduct and social rituals, and the presence (or absence) of an internal hierarchy.
- How can football hooligans’ violence be explained?
- What explains the emergence of youth criminal gangs in Russia in the 1990s?
- “Labelling of people as deviants creates a ‘self-fulfilling prophesy’”. Discuss, with particular reference to Howard Becker’s “Outsiders” and William Chambliss’s “Saints and Roughnecks”.
- Critically explore Jack Katz’s idea that youth violence is not caused by pressures on offenders, but results from the emotional seductions of crime.
- “Lack of opportunities to succeed explains young people’s involvement in gangs”. Discuss.
Understanding youth in late modernity (Book by France, Alan 2007 Core)
Youth in crisis?: ‘gangs’, territoriality and violence (Book by Goldson, Barry 2011 Core)
Youth & crime (Book by Muncie, John 2015 Core)
Gangs of Russia: from the streets to the corridors of power (Book by Stephenson, Svetlana 2015 Core)
The class ceiling: why it pays to be privileged (Book by Friedman, Sam; Laurison, Daniel 2019 Core – chapters 8 and 9)
You can order SS5005 Youth, resistance and social control assignment from our service and receive a completely high-quality custom paper. Our service offers any of the SS5005 Youth, resistance and social control Assessment items from scratch, according to all customers’ specifications, expectations and highest standards.”